Friday, March 2, 2012


I had the hysteroscopy and laparoscopy yesterday... It was quite the procedure! We checked in at 9:00 am and were taken to my pre-op room where we got checked in and met with the nurses, changed into my lovely gown, took a pregnancy test (which was obviously negative) and got my IV started. My RE came in and talked with us for a significant amount of time and went through the entire procedure from start to finish. I had a whole list of questions and he answered every single one of them without having to ask him. It was so reassuring and calmed some of my nerves. He is pretty funny and tried to lighten the mood by joking about what would happen if men had to be the one who got pregnant... The human race would surely be extinct! They gave me a medication about 10 minutes before they took me to the operating room to help me relax... It was definitely a feel good medicine! I kissed my hubby good-bye and they reassured him they would take very good care of me. I got in the operating room and they had me sit on the operating table. There was a lot of hustle and bustle so I'm glad I opted for that initial med to help me relax. They got me hooked up to the machines and bundled me up so I was nice and warm. The nurse anesthetist came in and I was asleep.....

It is all a blur, but I remember waking up in the recovery room with an oxygen mask on and uncontrollably shaking - which is very common for me when I wake up for anesthesia. However, the shaking was irritating my laparoscopy incisions and my cervix was trying to contract back to normal. I remember them asking what my pain was on a scale of 1-10 and I said "15!"... She pushed a dose of IV pain meds and piled on the blankets to keep me from shivering. It relieved some pain and got me down to a 10, so she pushed another dose of IV pain med. The IV meds made my nose itch horribly, but my pain was subsiding. Once the pain was under control, the nurse sat me up and gave me some crackers and ice chips so I could take some oral pain meds that are longer lasting. My vitals were stable and I kept the food down so I was able to be moved to the next area of recovery where I got to see my hubby and mom.....

I arrived at my final recovery room where they placed a warm blanket on my belly and bundled me up nice and warm. They got me some water and buttered toast, but my mouth was too dry to eat and my throat was sore from the breathing tube i had during the surgery. My mom and hubby arrived and filled me in on what the RE had discovered during the procedure!

They started by inserting the breathing tube and urinary catheter. Then he began the laparoscopy by making an incision in my belly button. He looked at all of my other organs to make sure everything looked ok and then focused on my uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries. He noted mild endometriosis on my ovaries and the back of my uterus (which could've been the source of my back pain). He then inserted a catheter into my cervix and injected a blue dye into my uterus to see if it would flow freely through my Fallopian tubes, which he was able to see with the laparoscopy... Perfect! He made 2 more incisions and was able to remove the endometriosis, as well as a cyst off of my ovary. He then removed the dye and inserted the hysteroscopy into my uterus. He did not see any intrauterine adhesions, polyps or fibroids!! He said I have a "beautiful" uterus that will make an amazing home for a little one. Not a compliment you hear every day... but I'll take it! He is assuming I had some scar tissue somewhere in the cervix that was preventing flow out of the uterus, that was broken up with the insertion of the hysteroscope. The results are better than I ever expected!!!! We were given the green light to go ahead and try with this next cycle since it is pretty late in this cycle! My hubby and mom were very impressed with the RE and how good he was at elaining how the surgery went and the amount of time he took with them.

While in recovery, I was very nauseous so it took me awhile to get discharged. I had to be able to walk and pee before I could be discharged. It took me 3 cups of water, a diet coke and 4 trips to the bathroom before I could actually go to the bathroom. I was so glad my hubby and my mom were both there. There is something comforting about having my mom there with him. I was discharged at abou 5:30! Talk about a long day for them!

Since I've been home, I haven't had much vaginal bleeding since he didn't have to do much, but my lap incisions and abdomen are pretty tender. I'm having some radiating shoulder pain, which is common from all the co2 gas that was put onto my belly. My mom bought me a bear hug from Origins... It is scented with orange and ginger and is something you heat up in the microwave and is used around your neck to relieve shoulder and neck pain. It has been a life saver! It smells amazing and is so calming, but the warmth really helps relieve the pain in my shoulders. LOVE IT!! Thanks, mom! The biggest pain in the butt is the frequent peeing because it is so much work to get in and out of my chair.

All in all, this was a somewhat painful experience, but so worth the peace of mind. I'm so relieved that there isn't any scar tissue inside my uterus that would negatively impact my ability to get pregnant. We now know that everything is in working order!! Hopefully I won't develop any scar tisue in my cervix again, but that problem is easily fixed if it happens again. Hopefully it was just a fluke!

Finally , hubby and I are feeling so good about trying again. I can once again see being pregnant and having a baby in our future. There is finally a light at the end of this very long tunnel! Off to rest and heal my baby maker!

No comments:

Post a Comment